Uh, yes. Unequivocally, yes.
It was reported several years ago that 67% of dentists were on Facebook. But more than half of them were not posting consistently, if at all. The fans are minimal. There posting is spotty.
In fact, it mostly only happens when an intern comes across a could little meme that is briefly related to the importance to make an appointment with your dentist.
Yeah. I see you there.
The truth is that is NOT “doing social media”. That is not engaging with your fans. Nor is it having a social media presence.
So, let me help you out a minute. Here are 3 key things you NEED to be doing to actually “be doing social media”.
- You NEED to be consistent. On average, it takes 7-8 times to be seen before a person is going to act on any offer you may be putting out. Posting a clever meme, or a new client dental deal once a month is not going to cut it. You may not even want to waste your time. But when you are consistent, posting 3-5 times a week you will start to see more activity on your page. More people will see your content. And maybe, you’ll even start getting new clients.
- Be relatable. The idea of being on social media is to relate to your customers. It gives you the opportunity to show your clients that perhaps dentists aren’t so bad after all 😉 This also means you need to be posting your own pictures on your office– no stock images! I’ll give you 10 points if you even go LIVE in your office (hint: the Facebook algorithm love that!)
- Grow your presence. This may include running specials or giveaways or even Facebook ads. There are many clever ways to grow your social media and this is where a social media manager comes into play (pssstttt! That’s me). But the easiest way to do this is to just engage with your fans. Respond to comments and reviews -good and bad ones.
Ok, so once you do all of that here is what you can expect to see if you are really “doing social media”.
- Positive reviews. If a customer is well aware you are on social media and they had an excellent experience having them write a positive review on your Facebook page would be amazing! Not only does this show up on your page– but this also alerts all their friends that they had a positive experience with you as well! Definitely a win-win.
- Less phone calls in the office. Over the years I’ve been to many dental offices. I can’t tell you how often they were over ran by phone calls. Utilizing Facebook you may find yourself really cutting down on those phone calls because: A) You can post your dental information on there including times and services. B) You can take questions online through the messenger.
- Attract new clients- Facebook generates free advertising for your practice. A social media relationship helps keep the dental office “top of mind” for patients, so when a Facebook friend is looking for a dentist, patients can quickly recommend their dentist with a link to the practice’s Facebook page.
Then if you dare to step into ad campaigning, there are some major benefits. (I recommend leaving this part to the experts. They will give you the most bang for your buck.)
Facebook ads focuses on targeting certain individuals that could potentially become your clients. With tv, flyers, billboards it is a shot in the dark on if you are actually reaching the right people you would want to be your clients.
Facebook ads allows you to target a certain demographics -all the way down to how they purchase items online! No more wasting money on people that are not even in your target market!
In the end, social media is the wave of the future when it comes to marketing. Taking advantage of a marketing investment that is still new, and definitely not going away, will only put you ahead of the game. Don’t leave money on the table and make 2018 the year your dentist office grows to become one of the best in the area!
Founder, Fenice Marketing